Wednesday, August 29

Introducing Penelope

When it rains it pours blog posts, doesn't it?  Here is another one, one I've been waiting a long time to do. 

I'm sure no one will forget the kittens we found on my birthday.  We were really grateful that Catalyst for Cats were able to take them and take on getting them tamed an adopted.  The other part of that story is mom, a gorgeous tuxedo we named Penelope.  (Helpful tip: the moment you name a cat, they are yours.)

The rescue group asked if they could trap her on our property so they could get her fixed.  We consented and agreed to take care of her, so they returned her to our property, fixed with a notch in her ear so other rescue groups, county services, and neighbors would know she had been fixed and had a caretaker.  Well I can't really say we've been her caretakers.  We put out food and water daily and put two shelters around our property.  Every now and then we would see her, just about the time I would start worrying because we hadn't seen her.  We also saw other kitties, but no one regularly.

Quite recently she has started hanging out, acting as though the backyard is her home.  Well... it is.  She knows that I like to feed her around 830pm, just as the sun is setting because it prevents the birds from getting the food and making a huge mess.

Yesterday afternoon Mr. Bird took out the trash and told me "She's out there." I thought that was nice.  Then he says "She's in that wicker shelf thing." What is he talking about?  "You know, that shelf thing we got from your grandmother? She squeezed herself into the bottom."

I'm fortunate I thought to grab my camera as I went outside to check this out.  Introducing Penelope, squeezed into the "wicker shelf thing".



 
She really is a pretty kitty and we are just convinced she is Cleo's mom too.  See the resemblance?
 

She happily lounged in her little spot while I hung out a bit.  Later that evening, at dinner time, I paused to talk with Penelope for a bit.  The living room window happened to be open and Pito must have heard me.  He jumped on the window sill and was a bit agitated by the scene.  His mom was talking to some other cat.  He stared Penelope down while I spoke to him soothingly.  Penelope, the sweetheart, chirped at him and made a little meow, as though to say "hello nice kitty".  That's what I'd like to think anyway.  Then she stretched and yawned and realized I had food. 

It may not be a love match, but I'm hoping that if I can give Pito positive reinforcement when he sees her that one day, if she chooses to be an indoor cat, that he will be okay with it.

I hope you have enjoyed meeting Penelope.
Cheers,
this little bird


4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to finally meet Penelope! What a beautiful girl. She and Pito would make such a handsome couple, wouldn't they? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks sweet cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's adorable! So happy she found you to care of her :)
    Hope one day she will "really" join the family.

    ReplyDelete