Sunday, December 16

Why did it take so long to get here?

Hi friends!  I can't believe a month has passed.  Sorry for my tardiness.  I have a variety of thoughts for today but first two pieces of good news. (yay!)

I am very proud to announce, and hope you are proud to hear, that I got an A in my first grad class!  Whew!  This quarter was very challenging, not just for the coursework but because of medication reactions I had.  I will talk more about this in another post because I feel it's important to get the information out there.  But I'm more confident than ever that if I could make it through this course that I'm in the right place. So I've registered for next quarter.  That leaves me with about three more weeks  to play!

Second, I'm so happy to tell you that November was the best month on Etsy that this little bird has ever had!  Yay!  It broke all sales records so far.  Thanks to everyone who supports us here at this little bird!

Now, on to deep thoughts for the day as Mr. Bird sleeps off his cold.

I've really enjoyed this year of sewing and crafting on Etsy and the thought has come up many times as to why it took me "sew" long to get here.  I've been sewing/painting/crafting since I was 5.  So what happened.  The answer came in phases.  The first indication was last year around my birthday.  The grandmother who taught me to sew took me to her favorite fabric shop and we went in opposite directions.  She really likes batiks and water color fabrics:



I love modern and graphic prints (I have a crush on Lotta Jansdotter):
 
I only now realize that I never really thought of all these crafts and skills as anything but "grandma stuff".  I didn't think I could go find fabrics I love and make the same things!!!  Shocking revelation, I know.  <sarcastic emphasis please>
 
Then, the real light came on when I was learning to crochet, but only after about another year.  This Thanksgiving when I went to see this same grandmother, she taught me how to crochet a flower.  She was making granny squares, but I thought they would be awesome as embellishments on some of my zipper pouches.  Of course I was not interested in the pastel variegated yarn she was using, or the fact that she was ultimately making "granny squares".  That was the moment it really hit me.  All this "grandma stuff" really needed was a modern update and POW! I'm in!
 
So I went to Pinterest to see what I could find:
Pinned Image
http://pinterest.com/pin/98164466849663866/
 
Pinned Image
From Pinterest
I could go on, but I think you can see what I mean by making it modern.  I feel like this opens so many doors creatively.  Taking "old fashioned" crafts and modernizing them.  One website that I think does a really great job of this is the Purl Bee.  Their blog always has great modern ideas and their store Purl Soho has fabulous supplies and kits for sale.  Here is one of my most favorite, the 4 Seasons of Embroidery Kit


So this is where I have been and what I have been pondering. I hope all of you had a lovely Thanksgiving and are enjoying the holiday season, whatever holidays you celebrate. We celebrate Christmas, so Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.  Mr. Bird is still sleeping and I have no homework to do so I'm off to sew!

Cheers,
this little bird

No comments:

Post a Comment